Friday, December 23, 2016

Postscript

As I said in the beginning, my mother was many things to many people. She loved selling real estate. She loved being part of the MS Caregivers group and there was the place that she found the most meaning and the most support and recognition and perhaps her closest friends. She always tried to be fair with us kids and she tried to be part of as many of our activities as she could. She tried to teach us responsibility by finding us jobs and by lending us money (and getting it back) from the National Bank of Josie.  She clipped coupons and got deals and she shared that whenever she could. My mother could be very generous; when I had cancer she sent me money every month for two years even though she and my father lived on their own limited income. She tried to stay current in so many ways by doing online banking and using her DVR to record shows and being on Facebook. She had one of the first Kindles to come out and was an avid reader. There are so many more things I still want to say and to tell you. 

Her mother died on the eve of her 24th birthday, a young mother and a young wife and it was Christmas eve, as well. My mother was an only child and most of her relatives lived in Belgium. My father and her father were not helpful that night. Somehow my mother pulled it together and took care of everything. In so many ways she always took care of everything She was truly the strongest person I have ever known. 

I leave you with her favorite Mother Goose Rhyme. "There was a little girl who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. And when she was good, she was very, very good. And when she was bad, she was horrid."

2 comments:

baby sister said...

And mom died the eve of her mother's birthday. Coincidence? Knowing how much she thought of and spoke about her mom (and dad), i wouldn't put it past her that it was intentional.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Yvonne. I did not know that. Amazing.